(nr Lake City CO)
In 1871 silver and lead were discovered in the canyon outside town. Over a 30 year period more than 12 million dollars worth of ore (250mil in todays dollars) was extracted.
The mine laid along what is now called Henson Creek where a concrete dam and flume were built to provide water for the operation.
The complex included a boarding house, blacksmith shop, assay lab, powerhouse and mill. The mine employed up to 300 miners, many of whom were Italian.
The success of the mine led to the Denver and Río Grande Railroad extending to the town of Lake City in 1889. That made it a very successful town.
Camp: Gunnison NF-Pike Snowden Cabin boondock
Scene: Mine, buildings, dam