Papers and Proofs

(Jacksonville FL)
One task to accomplish before heading down the road to full-time RVing is to ensure essential documents are aboard. It’s amazing how many papers are needed for proofs or legal reasons. While most of these will be scanned into the computer, and placed on a USB flash drive, I also want to have hard copies available.

I will be ordering a new certified birth certificate with the state seal embossed; I’ve heard the original I have is not good enough. I’ll get a US Passport card in case I choose to travel into Mexico or Canada; it’s also supposed to function as a solid ID. Updating my will and medical directive, durable power-of-attorney, and including my medical records and emergency contacts are also important.

RV related items would include a copy of my driver’s license, vehicle title and registration, insurance policy, inspection certificate, maintenance receipts and warranties. Other things like my Social Security card, DD214 and VA ID card, Senior Pass for national parks, diplomas, and prior years taxes. Have I forgotten anything?

To provide some security for these papers, I’ve purchased a fire and flood rated safe to be secluded in the RV. The SentrySafe HD2100 is good in a fire for a half hour at 1550ºF and should protect papers, CDs, DVDs, USB drives and memory sticks. Most RVs would be completely destroyed in that amount of time, so I’m satisfied with those numbers. The most important of these items would also be held by a trusted family member.

With this plan I should be prepared if I need legal documents or have to prove something while traveling.

Camp: Home in the sticks-n-bricks
Scene: Residential neighborhood

3 Responses to Papers and Proofs

  1. RV PAINTER J. RICHARD SECOR July 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

    Good post! We also have this issue to deal with and I’ll check out the safe you mention along with a couple of others I’ve found.

  2. RV PAINTER J. RICHARD SECOR July 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

    How do you get the weather and map location to appear on your blog?

  3. Pat October 16, 2012 at 4:22 am #

    Similar to the national parks pass is the North American reciprocal museum program. Over 400 museums for about $100.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes