(Browns Park UT)
John and his wife Nellie came to this remote, unsettled area in 1880, and established their ranch. They lived in a small dugout shelter the first year while developing the other structures and main house.
Situated on the Green River, they operated a ferry, store, blacksmith, raised cattle and crops, and served as postmaster for the area. It is now a state historic site
The current main house and store was reconstructed like the original in 1984-5. They dug a small canal to a waterwheel which supplied water for their crops and herd.
Tragically, John was murdered in 1909 by two drifters who mistakenly thought he was wealthy, but found nothing worth stealing from the ranch.
Camp: BLM-Indian Crossing CG
Scene: Historic ranch buildings