Fire Safety

One improvement made to the RV was to upgrade the fire extinguisher. The typical dry-chemical type that came with the rig was old and of little use. So, it was replaced with several foam type positioned in strategic spots inside the RV.

Fire extinguisher next to door

Fire Extinguisher by Entry

A large one replaced the standard unit by the entry door. Small ones were placed by the driver seat, in the galley away from the stove, in the lounge where I normally sit, and in the sleeping loft within easy reach. All are quickly accessible for an emergency. These units are good for about 5 years, so need to be replaced by the expiration dates.

Kitchen counter with fire extinguisher

Foam Unit in Galley

A fire in an RV would spread very quickly. So, having fire extinguishers positioned for quick access and of the correct type is essential. And, having several insures there will be plenty of fire fighting foam to extinguish a blaze. The new foam type are easier to use, more effective on fires likely in an RV, and don’t require hazmat clean-up after a fire. See the excellent write-up by Andy Baird in his Eureka! for RVers.

Floor plan showing positions for new units

Locations of New Foam Fire Extinguishers

Foam fire extinguishers along with proper alarms for propane (near the floor), smoke (ceiling near the galley), and carbon monoxide (eye level by the loft) should go a long way toward providing fire safety in my motorhome Tardis.

For more posts that show other mods to the rig see the Tardis page.

6 Responses to Fire Safety

  1. Dizzy-Dick October 25, 2014 at 1:34 am #

    A fire in an RV is a scary and very dangerous thing. My diesel pusher only has one door and it is up beside the passenger seat. There are a couple of windows that are suppose to push out easily, but I doubt if my wife could open one to get out. You have the right idea with all the extinguishers placed in strategic places.

    • Pleinguy October 25, 2014 at 1:40 am #

      I hope it is enough to stop a blaze quickly. Escapes do need to be tested, so you will be prepared. It’s a good idea to do a practice run through. Thanks for commenting.

  2. J. RICHARD SECOR October 25, 2014 at 1:13 pm #

    A very smart thing to do – most fires are not put out because the extinguisher runs out before doing its job. I would also suggest a couple in the storage areas especially where the electrical feed comes in. These things go up in a flash – especially those with wood side wall studs

    • Pleinguy October 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

      Thanks for the input. The power cord entry is under the stove and only accessible from inside; so, I think the galley one will do for it.

  3. Upriverdavid October 25, 2014 at 10:36 pm #

    I have seen more than one go up in flames….You have mere seconds, and I’m not kidding.
    I have the 20# models and four or five of them. If I remember to bring a couple out from the house before leaving on the road. I hate burns……
    Stay safe!

    • Pleinguy October 25, 2014 at 10:58 pm #

      Seconds is true; which is why I have them within easy reach wherever I am in the RV. The small foam ones are good because they provide a quick response. It would be wise to add them to your check list when preparing a for a trip. Thanks for reading.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes